Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Abominable Cheezeburger Casserole

I can't believe what I am about to do.

I've said those words before and somehow they never keep me from doing what I can't believe I'm about to do. Blame it on my OCD.

I am going to give you a recipe that calls for Cheeze Whiz (hence the spelling of the word cheezeburger in the post title). I have never ever purchased Cheeze Whiz until yesterday. I can't believe I'm going to admit that I have now incorporated it into a meal. Real cheese just wouldn't cut it... only the creamy processed stuff, of which my Mother in law says, "It just melts so beautifully." Not only am I going to give you this recipe but I am also going to admit to you that I personally created this recipe. I wanted a cheeseburger in a casserole dish so I made it up. The result was yummy... if you can contemplate anything containing Cheeze Whiz being yummy.

I've decided to name the recipe: Combo #1 Whopper with cheese and can I have onion rings on the side instead of french fries casserole

Yes, it's a sort of long title but that is the taste I was going for, as wrong as that is. Please believe we actually eat quite healthy on a regular basis. We eat lots of green vegetables and olive oil and low fat meats. My kids order salad when we go out to eat and some of their favorite foods are naturally green without food coloring.

So without further ado I give you Combo #1 Whopper with cheese and can I have onion rings on the side instead of french fries casserole (feel free to substitute the light version of any of the following products as I did.)


1 lb. ground beef
1/2 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
Seasoning salt to taste
3/4 cup Mayonaisse
3 Tbsp. Ketchup (approx.)
2 Tbsp. Mustard (approx.)
Pasta (we used shells) cooked and drained
1 jar of Cheeze Whiz (NOTE: If you shop at Costco or Sam's Club for your Cheeze Whiz it will probably be much less than one jar!!)
1 can French's French Fried Onions



Bring lightly salted water to a boil and cook shells until tender. Meanwhile brown ground beef, onion, garlic and season with Seasoning Salt. Drain fat from beef. In a small bowl mix the Mayonaisse, ketchup and mustard. (You are going for a pinkish color.) Stir this mixture into the browned ground beef and mix well. When the pasta is done cooking, drain it and put it back into the pot. Add the Cheeze Whiz and stir until melted and evenly distributed.

In a casserole dish (I used the french white oval Pyrex). Pour half of the pasta into the casserole dish. Then layer the beef mixture over it, spreading it out evenly. Add the remainder of the pasta on top of the beef. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the French Fried Onions over top of the pasta and bake for another 3-5 minutes to brown them.

There you have it. I can't remark upon the health value of it other than I believe it probably has fewer calories than the real Whopper... but who's counting?

2 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

Nan- it sounds delicious- cheese whiz and all! It's ok... the world will not stop spinning!

Liz said...

I actually LOVE cheeze wiz!

Melanie has an awesome caserole with it I love, but my husband, the celiac, does not. One of us will have to post it in honor of you soon!!

Glad to be connected with your recipes too. so fun to share the *joy* of GF cooking.