Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Roasted Asparagus

This is absolutely delicious. My picky oldest son even says of them, "Wow!! They are sweet!"

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Wash asparagus. Cut off or break off the bottoms (I usually cut off about 1 1/2 inches though you really can just break each on individually off and where it breaks is generally where the toughness ends.)

Lay flat on a cookie/baking sheet and brush with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Make sure they are covered well in the OO but not dripping otherwise the oil will splatter and make stinky burning smells in your oven and hence in your kitchen and your fire alarm will go off and your guests will think you don't know how to cook and you are burning down the house. And you will be really embarrassed. Ask me how I know.

Sprinkle kosher salt over them. Use regular salt if you must but Kosher salt is better. :^D

Place in oven on middle rack for approx. 12 minutes. Might need up to 14 or 15. I keep my eye on them for the last 5 minutes and just gauge them by their color. You want them to start having some dark brown spots (carmelization).

Check them by poking a fork into their tender little bums, making sure that they are nice and soft. You should feel very little resistance on the fork as you poke them.

Pull them out and place them in a serving dish if you wish. (ooh, I feel like Dr. Suess.) Eat. Revel. Drool. Beat yourself with cactus fronds for not having made them before. Plan to buy two bunches next time.

An optional garnish is Feta cheese. So good.

And don't be shocked the next time you pee and find that it smells really really terribly awful. It's what asparagus does to pee. Nothing to be worried about. Don't page your urologist.

4 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

Gag! Sorry I am sure they are delicious.

Podcastin' Cyndi said...

Did you know that not everyone's pee smells funny after eating asparagus? I made an "asparagus pee" joke one time in front of my MIL, and I thought she was just being prissy when she disavowed all knowledge of the phenomenon. I later learned (in homeschooling) that not everyone has an "asparagus pee"!

Nan said...

You know I actually just learned that a few weeks ago Cyndi. Funnier still is that I never experienced asparagus pee stink until a couple of weeks ago when my asparagus was so yummy that I over indulged! LOL! And then I was like WHOA! Asparagus pee is no joke! LOL!

Meliss said...

I love to roast red peppers in the pan first and then add in the asparagus. Yum.